Connect with us


Trabzonspor from Turkey Receives Six-Match Fan-Ban Due to Pitch Invasion



The TFF’s disciplinary board also imposed fines and one-match suspensions on two Fenerbahce players, Dutch defender Jayden Oosterwolde and goalkeeper Irfan Can Egribayat.

Oosterwolde’s penalty was a result of kicking a Trabzonspor fan who had rushed onto the field with his face concealed.

Following a 3-2 home defeat on March 17, a group of Trabzonspor supporters stormed the pitch after the final whistle.

Incidents occurred as the Fenerbahce players and coaching staff celebrated their triumph, including an assault on goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic.

In addition to the fan-ban, the Black Sea team has been mandated to pay fines totaling 3.1 million Turkish lira ($97,000).

Nigerian international Bright Osayi-Samuel was not penalized for striking a fan on the field.

According to the board, his actions did not breach disciplinary regulations.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino condemned the incidents as “completely unacceptable.”

This season has witnessed multiple instances of violence impacting the Turkish Super Lig.

In December, the championship was halted for a week when a referee was attacked during a match between Ankaragucu and Rizespor.

Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca, along with others, assaulted referee Halil Umut Meler on the field post-match, causing the official injury.

Several visits by Fenerbahce to Trabzon have also been marred by violence recently.

In 2016, a game against Trabzonspor was abandoned following an assistant referee’s assault by a home fan in the closing minutes.

The year before, Fenerbahce’s team bus was targeted by a gunman while heading back to the airport from Rize, resulting in severe injuries to the driver.

In 2014, a match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce was called off at halftime due to objects being hurled at Istanbul club’s players by home supporters.

Trabzonspor, champions of the Turkish title two years ago, made headlines in 2015 when the club president kept the referee and assistants locked inside the stadium overnight to protest against a penalty decision denial.

After a call from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, they were eventually freed in the early hours of the following day.