Connect with us


Driver kidnapped in Anambra now safe and sound




The father of the victim, Nze Obinabo, affirmed the development to our correspondent on Thursday, and mentioned that his son is currently receiving treatment at a confidential hospital where he was promptly taken to.

Obinabo referred to the victim as his sole surviving son.

He explained, “Following the invasion of my property and the abduction of my son on Sunday night, we reported the incident to the Abagana Police Division, where the police activated a search response team.

“However, on Tuesday around 9pm, the kidnappers personally brought back my son and left him at a roadside in the community.”

He mentioned that his son recounted how the kidnappers bound him to a chair and tortured him using a burning tire.

“After some time, he stated that they began to argue and have disputes over the phone with certain individuals.

“He mentioned that following the altercation on the phone with these unknown persons, the kidnappers informed him that they would return him to my residence, stating that they wouldn’t allow themselves to kill an innocent person.

“He mentioned that they told him that the individuals who hired them to abduct him were upset that they had not received their share of the relief items distributed during the ‘Etiti Palliative Day’ which took place in the community on Friday. They released him when they couldn’t come to an agreement on what to do with him,” the father stated.

He added, “He mentioned that the kidnappers told him that those who hired them were unhappy that they didn’t receive meat from the cow that was slaughtered during the event.”

Obinabo questioned why his only surviving son was targeted by the perpetrators when he wasn’t responsible for the distribution of the relief items.

“I can’t understand why the perpetrators would single out my son when he wasn’t in charge of distributing the relief items.

“He is in a critical condition at the hospital now. He sustained severe injuries to his head and other parts of his body. His survival will be determined over the next three days, as he has been seriously injured. We have informed the police that the kidnappers have released him,” he added.

Upon reaching out for confirmation regarding the latest developments via telephone, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, did not respond to the text messages and calls at the time of this report being filed.