Connect with us


Gas Station Explosion Narrowly Avoided by Seven Students and Attendant from Kwarapoly



Sanwo Olu felicitates Oba of Lagos at 80

The fire took place at Destiny Villa, Dola Abimbola Street, Elekoyangan area near the main campus of the Polytechnic in the Ilorin East Local Government Area of the state.

Hassan Adekunle, the Head of the Department of Media and Publicity for the state Fire Service, explained that the fire originated when a gas attendant at a nearby gas shop was refilling a gas cylinder positioned several meters above ground level.

“The cylinder fell and exploded, simultaneously releasing gas from the charged hose used for refilling. This aggravated the fire, resulting in injuries to seven Kwara State Polytechnic students and the gas attendant.

“Upon arrival at the scene, the firemen encountered a building with approximately 17 self-contained rooms fully engulfed in flames. Four rooms were affected, and eight individuals sustained injuries”.

Adekunle disclosed that the total estimated property loss was valued at N14.6 million, while the value of property saved was estimated at N72.2 million.

In light of the situation, the Director of Kwara State Fire Service, Prince Falade John, promptly dispatched his team to check on the affected students on Sunday, November 19, 2023.

Moreover, he emphasized the importance of prioritizing safety measures to avert potential fire disasters.