Connect with us


200 Arrested as Protesters Storm Speaker’s Residence



Protesting youths storm speakers residence police arrest 200

Previously, former House Leader Edison Ehie announced to the press that he was elected as the new Speaker by 26 of his colleagues in a plenary session held at the Government House in Port Harcourt on Monday.

Despite the resistance from the security personnel, the youth persisted in their attempts to enter the building. The operatives eventually dispersed them by firing shots into the air, resulting in several injuries.

One of the youth was inadvertently hit by a stray bullet.

However, a member of the Ijaw Youths Council, who identified himself as Thankgod, condemned the arrests, stating, “We didn’t touch his (Amaewhule) gate. We were peacefully protesting what transpired at the state House of Assembly.

“As you know, some lawmakers claimed to have signed a notice of impeachment against the governor, and we deemed it illegal. Our protest was peaceful. As you can see, we were unarmed.”

Online videos depict the youth sitting on the ground at the State Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Bureau premises in Port Harcourt.

Reportedly, among those arrested was Chijioke Ihunwo, the state chairman of the National Youth Council of Nigeria.

When contacted, Grace Irnge-Koko, the spokesperson for the state police command, expressed intent to inquire and provide a response. However, as of the time of filing this report on Tuesday evening, she has yet to do so.

Meanwhile, a senior police source confirmed the incident, stating, “Over 200 people were arrested. One of them is NYCN Chairman Chijioke Ihunwo.

“One individual sustained severe injuries. Those detained are currently in custody.”

Earlier, the protesters occupied the entrance leading to the Government House along Azikiwe Road in Port Harcourt as they continued their Monday demonstration against the planned impeachment of the governor by certain lawmakers.

The demonstrators vowed to resist any endeavors to remove Fubara.